Cannot unzip my Generated Theme

Forums Forums Templates and themes Cannot unzip my Generated Theme

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    rlebowitz

When I try to export my theme (revolution_generated) from the Theme Generator to WP, it saves it as a ZIP file on my desktop. But when I try to unzip it, it says "Unable to unarchive "revolution_generated.zip" into "Desktop"  (Error 1-Operation not permitted).

Any help on this?

Thanks!

For someone reason which I can’t unfathom, some unzipping programs can’t handle the compression used by the server. You either need to find one that does work (most seem to handle them fine) or you can post it here and I’ll unzip and rezip it again for you.

Anonymous

Having the same upload/unzipping issue.  Here’s what I get when I try to upload to WordPress (Version 2.9.1 FYI) :

Unpacking the package.

Incompatible archive PCLZIP_ERR_BAD_FORMAT (-10) : Invalid archive structure

On your website I export to WordPress, I give it a folder name and a theme name, then export.  Save the zip file to my desktop.

I’ve tried unzipping the file on my desktop, and it works – but all that’s in the zip file is another zip file!  Weird.  I’m working on a MacBook, if that’s helpful.  The .xml is attached, along with the zip.  Let me know if there’s anything else I should be doing.  It seems like the zip file is very small at only 45KB – but I have no idea how big it should be…

By the way, this is a really awesome service you’re providing.  Thank you!

Re-zipped file attached.

I’m guessing there’s some sort of bug in the unzipping program you are using. This seems to be a common issue for Mac users, so perhaps the default unzipping tool for Macs doesn’t work very well? I’ve tried about 10 different unzipping programs and they all worked fine. I use a Windows machines though.

Anonymous

Thank you Ryan!  :o  Downloaded your zip folder and successfully uploaded it to my website.

That’s so weird – why would my unzipping app affect it?  Doesn’t the zipping happen on your/the website’s end?  Most Macs come with a basic unzipper and so I’ve never really checked on looking for an alternative… and I believe 7zip is only for PCs.  If I find a free one I’ll test it with the old zip file and if it works I’ll post here again so that you can recommend it for anyone else bugging you with this problem.

Again, thank you both for creating this website and for helping me out.

Anonymous

OK – tested it out and like you said it seems to be a problem with the Mac’s built-in Archive Utility.  But even with a solution it’s still a little squirrely…  Here’s what I did:

Download and install Zipeg (free unzipping program for Macs – it’s possible other ones will work this, is the only one I tried).
    Make sure you run Zipeg once so that it associates itself with .zip files.
    Use Pixopoint’s Theme Generator – export to WordPress, save the zip file to your computer (note: when you save you should notice that the file is associated with Zipeg).
    Unzip your file with Zipeg.
    REZIP with Mac Archive Utility – this is done by right-clicking on the extracted folder and selecting "Compress."  This will create a zip folder like the one you originally downloaded but with a (2) at the end of the filename.
    Upload the newly zipped folder to WordPress theme install as usual.

I know, it’s weird that you have to unzip and then rezip it, but when I tried just uploading the downloaded zip file without doing it I got the same error as before.

Very convoluted solution but I’m not sure what the alternative is.  It would appear Mac’s Archive Utility has trouble zipping things from the internet.

Major props to Ryan for this website – hope this helps.  FYI I’m running an Intel Mac with the latest OSX (Snow Leopard) on it.

Anonymous

Cannot upload FlexSqueese them after downloading

Sorry about the unzipping problems. It will be fixed in time, just not any time soon unfortunately (unless someone comes up with an obvious solution).

"richard simspson" wrote:
    Cannot upload FlexSqueese them after downloading

What exactly are you trying to do?

Note: You can’t upload your themes back into the template generator, you need to upload the XML file which contains all the necessary information about the theme.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.