Vertical Menu problem

Forums Forums Menus Vertical Menu problem

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    connemaraca

I think I have missed something in the process of getting the vertical menu working.
    1- purchased advanced feature to get the css for this menu
    2- using theme hybrid
    3- options- set to use auto theme support and get an horizontal menu automatically (don’t want that)
    4- tried disabling stylesheet in options (added suckerfish css to style.css)
    5- created CSS from generator for vertical, left flyout, and added to the ADVANCED section of the plugin options.  Now I think I removed the original css and replaced with this generated css – could this be the problem?
    6- Set Home and PAGES as the items for the menu

What I do have is the vertical unordered list in the sidebar, no styling.  That would suggest that I have left out something that will call the CSS.  Help?

OK just made some headway- didn’t have the function called in the sidebar.php.  So I added this: <?php if ( function_exists( ‘pixopoint_menu’ ) ) {pixopoint_menu();} ?> and the menu shows up UNDER a copy of the unordered list.  Actual menu isn’t quite working properly but getting somewhere.  Removed the pages from widget panel and now only the pixo menu remains.  YEH!  nothing like finding one’s own answer while posting. 
    Just need to fix the styling so the list sits properly.

Connie

connemaraca

Thanks Ryan:
    got that and installed, removed the code from the sidebar.php file.  Much nicer way to do it.

When I went to fix the styling on the menu, I discovered that the css being generated was not changing from the default and the menu was actually still a horizontal trying to fit into the sidebar.

I have tried to generate the vertifical flyout, using specific page colour backgrounds, with the advanced options.  Not working at all.  Should I access this differently with paid access? (Tried FF3 and Chrome)

If you have the correct CSS, then it should just work when you implement the menu.

It’s impossible for me to tell without seeing the problem in action though.

connemaraca

Thanks Ryan- your comment was very helpful.  Now have the vertical menu, which slides down, no flyouts, and has bullets.  Is this how it is supposed to work?  I have done the right hand side menu with left flyouts before (not with wordpress) and this looks quite different.    Here is the link: http://www.murryhandler.com/wp/&nbsp; Your help is appreciated.

And just to clarify- the css that is generated can be added into the Advanced Options part of the plugin in the Admin part of WP.  Correct? (versus adding to the style.css of the theme).

&quot;connemaraca&quot; wrote:
    no flyouts, and has bullets.  Is this how it is supposed to work?

No, not at all. There is probably a clash with the CSS from your sidebar.

And just to clarify- the css that is generated can be added into the Advanced Options part of the plugin in the Admin part of WP.  Correct? (versus adding to the style.css of the theme).

Either way will work fine. Just make sure that you choose the "disable CSS file" option in the plugin if you use your style.css file as otherwise you will have two lots of CSS loaded.

connemaraca

Hi Ryan:
    made changes to the sidebar/widgets etc and found no change so decided to go back to the generator again. And that’s where I discovered that the problem was with the generator not outputting the code for the vertical menu.  I tried different themes and discovered that you get a "visual" for what you should be getting.  So menu is in, and for the most part, working.  I haven’t tested in IE8 yet, but with some css changes has it looking like the customer wants.  A few issues did came out of this:
    1- the menu, no matter what I do, overlaps the other widgets.
    2- the hover to the submenu is highly sensitive and the submenu often disappears (IE7) 
    3- the little >> after the link:  Shouldn’t these automatically appear on the left side for a left flyout?

Thanks for your help; this is pretty close now.
    Connie

… that’s where I discovered that the problem was with the generator not outputting the code for the vertical menu.

Did it display a flyout menu? But not output the code for it?

If so, I’ll definitely investigate, but I’m not sure what the problem could be as it’s been working that way for a very long time now with no problems.

connemaraca

Hi there Ryan:
    Regarding the generator:  Until I fiddled around with different styles, I was not aware that you would see a sample (especially of a vertical) before outputting the code- that is why I consistently got a horizontal output.  I had been selecting WordPress default (which I expected to be basic white, not realizing maybe it may be only horizontal).  It might seem obvious to some that you would "see" a working sample first, but that was not clear in the instructions (for me).

The menu output was resolved, and menu itself has left flyouts.  To address the widget overlap, I set the menu wrapper with display:block with 100% width and a height definition in order to fix. 

Regarding the >> used to indicate submenus- shouldn’t this logically go on the left of the << link for left flyouts? or is that just not possible?

The hover to the submenus is still sensitive and sometimes takes several tries before the submenus stick enough to click.  Is there a fix for that?
    I would love to see other examples of this in action (with left flyouts). I have used a vertical left flyout (none WP) in the past but see that it is not commonplace, so appreciate that you have this option available.

Thanks Ryan.

Hi,
    The instructions for the CSS generator are appalling, I’m working on a new version which should be more user friendly (and faster/more obvious to use).

[quote:2n1hdt9e]Regarding the >> used to indicate submenus- shouldn’t this logically go on the left of the << link for left flyouts? or is that just not possible?[/quote:2n1hdt9e]

I assumed that was the default behaviour. And yes, it is possible to put them on the other side.

EDIT: I thought you were referring to the CSS generator, but from looking at your site, it appears you were referring to the JavaScript generated arrows, in which case no, that’s not changeable. I prefer to do those arrows with CSS anyway as it gives you a lot more control over how they look and their styling.

[quote:2n1hdt9e]The hover to the submenus is still sensitive and sometimes takes several tries before the submenus stick enough to click.  Is there a fix for that?[/quote:2n1hdt9e]

That’s either a problem with your browser, or you have implemented the menu incorrectly.

EDIT: On looking at your site, it again appears that you are using the Superfish jQuery plugin (which the PixoPoint Menu and Multi-level Navigation plugins use), which does cause a weird sticking problem. That’s a problem with Superfish though, so not my area sorry.

Here is an alternative animation method … https://geek.hellyer.kiwi/animating-menus/

connemaraca

Thanks so much Ryan for all your help.  And yes, will see about changing the arrows with css – normally how I would do it.

Have used the regular dropdown menus in the past and were very pleased with those too. I appreciate all the hard work that plugin developers like yourself do for us.
    Connie

No problem. Glad to hear you found it useful.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.