Suckfishnav Adjustment

Forums Forums Menus Suckfishnav Adjustment

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mike429

I am using the suckerfishnav on the kubrick template, the code is in the CSS and the header right where it belongs. The problem I am having is… I would like to bring the nav bar inside the border of my template, I have tried to change the code but not sure exactly what to change that will bring in both sides of the nav bar. I am not using the plug in for this it gave an fatal error so I reverted to just code. Great Nav bar just need some help tweaking it.

You can see what I am talking about at http://www.recipesbymike.com

I think that I posted this another place on this website, I apologize for that.

What fatal error were you getting?

Something like the following should shrink the width of the menu down and center it:
    [code:1raghnot]#suckerfishnav {width:600px;margin:0 auto;}[/code:1raghnot]

You would need to adjust the width value to match the site (I didn’t measure the width to know the exact value to use).

Mike429

Here is the code out of the site, I am not seeing any changes no matter what I do, there has to be something I am missing….

[code:102lnfy4]#suckerfishnav {
        background:#6b6b6b url("../multi-level-navigation-plugin/images/suckerfish_blue.png") repeat-x;
        font-size:12px;
        font-family:verdana,sans-serif;
        font-weight:bold;
        width:100%;
        }
    #suckerfishnav, #suckerfishnav ul {
        float:left;
        list-style:none;
        line-height:40px;
        padding:0;
        border:1px solid #aaa;
        margin:0;
        width:100%;
        }
    #suckerfishnav a {
        display:block;
        color:#dddddd;
        text-decoration:none;
        padding:0px 10px;
        }
    #suckerfishnav li {
        float:left;
        }
    #suckerfishnav ul {
        position:absolute;
        left:-999em;
        height:auto;
        width:101px;
        font-weight:normal;
        margin:0;
        line-height:1;
        border:0;
        border-top:1px solid #666666;
        }
    #suckerfishnav li li {
        width:99px;
        border-bottom:1px solid #666666;
        border-left:1px solid #666666;
        border-right:1px solid #666666;
        font-weight:bold;
        font-family:verdana,sans-serif;
        }
    #suckerfishnav li li a {
        padding:4px 10px;
        width:80px;
        font-size:12px;
        }
    #suckerfishnav li ul ul {
        margin:-21px 0 0 100px;
        }
    #suckerfishnav li li:hover {
        background:#1F3E9F;
        }
    #suckerfishnav li ul li:hover a, #suckerfishnav li ul li li:hover a, #suckerfishnav li ul li li li:hover a, #suckerfishnav li ul li li li:hover a {
        }
    #suckerfishnav li:hover a, #suckerfishnav li.sfhover a {
        }
    #suckerfishnav li:hover li a, #suckerfishnav li li:hover li a, #suckerfishnav li li li:hover li a, #suckerfishnav li li li li:hover li a {
        }
    #suckerfishnav li:hover ul ul, #suckerfishnav li:hover ul ul ul, #suckerfishnav li:hover ul ul ul ul, #suckerfishnav li.sfhover ul ul, #suckerfishnav li.sfhover ul ul ul, #suckerfishnav li.sfhover ul ul ul ul {
        left:-999em;
        }
    #suckerfishnav li:hover ul, #suckerfishnav li li:hover ul, #suckerfishnav li li li:hover ul, #suckerfishnav li li li li:hover ul, #suckerfishnav li.sfhover ul, #suckerfishnav li li.sfhover ul, #suckerfishnav li li li.sfhover ul, #suckerfishnav li li li li.sfhover ul {
        left:auto;
        background:#444444;
        }
    #suckerfishnav li:hover, #suckerfishnav li.sfhover {
        background:#3b3b3b;
        }[/code:102lnfy4]

I would have thought that the change I suggested above would work, but you don’t seem to have implemented it.

Mike429

Yes I did, nothing changed, the code I put in the last post is the original code, I worked for hours changing code with no luck, I could get one side of the nav bar inside the template border but not both. I can reduce the size of the nav bar but can not make it center on the template.

I’ll keep helping, but only if I can see what those changes I suggested you make did. Otherwise I’ll probably just come up with the same solution again.

Mike429

Could you highlight where you would like me to make those changes and then I will leave it up for you to see or take a screen shot, I have tried it but removed it because it made matters worse. I have been able to change anything I want except to bring that bar inside the template border.

CrowdTamers

You could add margins on one side or on either side of the nav bar, or go for the old classic "two auto width div’s and a centered fixed width div".

For example: I took a quick look at it and by changing the following in FireFox’s awesome plugin Firebug, it seemed to address the issue for you:
    [quote:3ccisxqz]
    #suckerfishnav, #suckerfishnav ul {
        border:2px solid #AAAAAA;
        float:right;
        line-height:25px;
        list-style-image:none;
        list-style-position:outside;
        list-style-type:none;
        margin-right:9px;
        width:97%;
    [/quote:3ccisxqz]

That said, you could manage it more effectively (and in a more accessible-friendly format) by throwing in between two divs so that if someone magnifies your page (with CTRL + or CTRL -) the menu won’t bork.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.