installed, copied css, and now no menu, just a list

Forums Forums Menus installed, copied css, and now no menu, just a list

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    wwwindi

Hi –

I installed the plugin, input the code into the header.php file, activated the plugin, and copied the css into the multi-level navigation page in my admin, BUT:

All i get is a list like this (see below) where the navigation menu should be.

Do I need to manually input the css into my css file? Do I need to remove anything from my own css file?

I used the php code suggested within the admin of the plugin instead of that in the "read me" that was downloaded with it – noticed there was a slight variation.

I can’t wait to use this powerful and amazing plugin!

Thanks!

[size=1:xfk7100i][i:xfk7100i]EDIT by Ryan: Personal details removed on request[/i:xfk7100i][/size:xfk7100i]

Categories
    general
    Categories
    general
    Categories
    general
    Categories
    general
    Categories
    general
    Categories
    general
    Categories
    general
    Categories
    general
    Categories
    general
    Categories
    general

wwwindi

I tried to disable the style.php file and manually input the css code into my css file, that didn’t work either.

Hi,
    You have some totally bizarre code in your CSS file. What browser were you using when you copy and pasted it from the generator?

[code:1xntm2ha]#suckerfishnav {
    Â Â Â Â background:#666666 repeat-x;
    Â Â Â Â font-size:12px;
    Â Â Â Â font-family:verdana,sans-serif;
    Â Â Â Â font-weight:bold;
    Â Â Â Â width:100%;
    Â Â Â Â }
    [/code:1xntm2ha]

Or did you put it through some sort of filter first? At any rate, it is munted and you need to remove all of the  symbols from it.

[quote:1xntm2ha]I used the php code suggested within the admin of the plugin instead of that in the "read me" that was downloaded with it – noticed there was a slight variation.[/quote:1xntm2ha]

I must have forgotten to update one of them. They will both work, but the longer one will not give an error message if you disable the plugin.

The HTML generated is also munted. The only way I can see that you could achieve that HTML would be if you chose "Categories dropdown" for EVERY option in your menu and only had one category called "General" (or excluded every other category).

wwwindi

I did choose Categories dropdown for every option, so that explains the HTML.

Can you give me example of the longer php code which is preferable to use? I’m not sure which one that is.

I used Safari when I generated the code. I will try again using some other browser and try it all again. Or will just removing the weird A symbols from it be enough? I didn’t put it through any filter, although I copied and pasted it into Stickies program on my mac?

Thanks for the support –
    Wendi

wwwindi

OK, fixed the funky A code issue, it must have been Stickies that did it, not the browser. Stuck the longer code in the header.php (as per the wp admin menu suggestion).

If you look at my site, [i:2gpv5ef4]removed[/i:2gpv5ef4], You will see the menu there, but weirdly positioned on the page, so that it eats up the top of where the body should start. There’s a space btw the header and the body where I want it to be minus the separation btw body and header.

Original code without the superfish php looks like this:
    [code:2gpv5ef4]<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
    <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
    <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="<?php bloginfo(‘html_type’); ?>; charset=<?php bloginfo(‘charset’); ?>" />
    <meta name="description" content="<?php bloginfo(‘description’); ?>" />
    <meta name="generator" content="Wordpress" />
    <meta name="template" content="Shifter Theme System for WordPress Version <?php echo (get_option(‘bzd_shifter_version’)); ?>" />
    <title>
    <?php wp_title(‘ ‘);Ê?>
    <?php if(wp_title(‘ ‘, false)) { echo ‘ |’; }Ê?>
    <?php bloginfo(‘name’);Ê?>
    </title>
    <?php shift_order(); ?>
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="<?php bloginfo(‘stylesheet_url’); ?>" media="screen" />
    <link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS 2.0" href="<?php bloginfo(‘rss2_url’); ?>" />
    <link rel="pingback" href="<?php bloginfo(‘pingback_url’); ?>" />
    <script type="text/javascript" src="<?php bloginfo(‘stylesheet_directory’); ?>/js/styleswitcher.js"></script>
    <?php wp_head(); ?>
    </head>
    <body class="yui-skin-sam">
    <div id="<?php yui_doc() ?>" class="<?php yui_secondary_column() ?>">
    <div id="hd"><!– start header –>
    <ul class="top_module"><!– start top module –>
    <?php if(!function_exists(‘dynamic_sidebar’) || !dynamic_sidebar($sidebar_index=3) ) : // use top module widget otherwise use default search box ?>
    <li><div id="search"><?php @include(TEMPLATEPATH.’/searchform.php’); ?></div></li>
    <?php endif; ?>
    </ul><!– end top module –>

<ul class="inset_module"><!– start inset module –>
    <?php if(!function_exists(‘dynamic_sidebar’) || !dynamic_sidebar($sidebar_index=4) ) : // use inset module widget otherwise use default header ?>
    <li><div class="blogtitle"><a href="<?php bloginfo(‘url’); ?>/"><?php bloginfo(‘name’); ?></a></div></li>
    <li><div class="blogdescription"><?php bloginfo(‘description’); ?></div></li>
    <?php endif; ?>
    </div><!– end header –>

<ul class="toolbar_module"><!– start toolbar module –>
    <?php if(!function_exists(‘dynamic_sidebar’) || !dynamic_sidebar($sidebar_index=5) ) : // use inset module widget otherwise use default toolbar ?>
    <li>
    <div id="topnav">
    <ul class="topnav">
    <?php show_home_link(); ?>
    <?php wp_list_pages(‘title_li=&depth=1’); ?>
    </ul>
    <ul class="buttons">
    <li><?php show_rss_link(); ?><?php shifter_buttons(); ?></li>
    </ul>
    </div>
    </li>
    <?php endif; ?>
    </ul><!– end toolbar mdoule –>

I replaced everything that follows:

</div><!– end header –>

with the superfish code: <?php if (function_exists(‘suckerfish’)) {suckerfish();} ?>
    ___________________________________________________________________________[/code:2gpv5ef4]

Can you help me with this alignment thing and then I’ll be done! 
    Thank you so much for your generous help and support –

Wendi Carlock

[quote:3j3kq4dz]I copied and pasted it into Stickies program on my mac?[/quote:3j3kq4dz]

I have no idea what "Stickies program" is, but that is probably the culprit. And yes, removing the symbols would work too.

[quote:3j3kq4dz]Can you give me example of the longer php code which is preferable to use? I’m not sure which one that is.[/quote:3j3kq4dz]

Yep, the one you have already: <?php if (function_exists(‘suckerfish’)) {suckerfish();} ?>

[quote:3j3kq4dz]You will see the menu there, but weirdly positioned on the page, so that it eats up the top of where the body should start. There’s a space btw the header and the body where I want it to be minus the separation btw body and header.[/quote:3j3kq4dz]

So you want to remove the gap between the menu and the parts of the page? ie: so you can’t see the background?

FYI, you may want to use the term ‘content area’ or something similar instead of ‘body’. ‘Body’usually refers to everything inside the BODY tags.

wwwindi

yes i want to remove the gap. That’s not the big issue.
    The menu also seems to be eating up some of the "content area" below it, it actually is exactly overlapping the black background of the main content area, which is controlled by another template. Where the menu currently sits, it should be black. The menu should appear above it, not on/within it.

Thanks, i’m so glad this menu plugin exists with such amazing support.

[i:38f0aebf]EDIT by Ryan: Removed personal details on request[/i:38f0aebf]

Hi Wendi,
    Sorry, but your problem may be quite complicated to fix. I’m happy to fix it for you, but I’ll need you to upgrade to our premium membership option first … https://geek.hellyer.kiwi/premium_support/

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.