external URL redirection

Forums Forums Menus external URL redirection

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    DrFingerless

I have a PixoPoint menu where I need one of my navigational items to take the user to an external site rather than to a page within my WordPress site. I am not a PHP programmer so I am not sure how to add a ‘if (this is the page) {meta-refresh}’. Is there anyway for this to be done easily using PixoPoint or do I need to get someone to write some PHP for me?

I think you are over-complicating things. You can add a link to anywhere you want via one of the the "Custom code" menu items.

The following will add a link to Google:
    [code:11fwc03a]<li><a href="http://google.com/">Google</a></li>[/code:11fwc03a]

If for some reason you need to do a redirect via a WordPress Page, then you would be much better off doing it with a 301 redirect. Within WordPress there is a wp_redirect() function (I might have the name wrong, but it’s something like that) which you can use to do the redirects for you. But it doesn’t sound like that’s what you are trying to achieve anyway.

DrFingerless

Thanks for this tip, Ryan. I have used one of the custom code menu items and in does indeed add a menu item to my top-level navigational structure which links to the site I require. The only thing is that I cannot see where to customize its placement in the order of my other top-level links. Currently it is just sitting to the left of the ‘home’ link which does not look good. The custom link does not appear in the ordering list under the Advanced Tab so I can’t move it about that way and as it doesn’t reference a page I can’t order it through the hierarchy box that forms part of each WP page. Any suggestions?

The ordering list is for WordPress pages.

Are you trying to insert this into your list of pages? If so, this isn’t going to work. I’m working on a system which will work, but it’s not available yet.

This would take you back to the wp_redirect() idea. You could do that via a custom plugin, or there might be one available already which can do it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.