Can someone Explain to me how to use this plugin?

Forums Forums Slimbox2 plugin Can someone Explain to me how to use this plugin?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    bgbs

I need someone to explain to me how to use Slimbox2 plugin properly.
    The instructions are very vague, written for advanced users. Beyond installation, this plugin is useless to me unless I know how to do simple things such as create a gallery, and make it show on a particular page.

I need this plugin to show a set of images on a page. First – How or where do I upload the set of images.  Is there a specific folder? Do I use WordPress Media? ..etc

Seconly – How do I stick those set of images on a page? Do I insert a special code in the page? 

In the readme file it vaguely tells me to do this: [color=red:3ic9vohm]Manually add the `rel="lightbox"` attribute to any link tag to activate the lightbox or `rel="lightbox-imagesetname"` for an image set, using the title attribute to store a caption. Alternatively you may use the autoload option to automatically prepare links to images and additionally enable picasaweb and flickr integration to easily utilize their albums.[/color:3ic9vohm]
    This explanation doesnt tell me anything at all because it still leaves me clueless as far as how to insert set of images.

Please help.

"bgbs" wrote:
    The instructions are very vague, written for advanced users. Beyond installation, this plugin is useless to me unless I know how to do simple things such as create a gallery, and make it show on a particular page.

What do you not understand? I can’t think of any way it could be worded any easier.

"bgbs" wrote:
    I need this plugin to show a set of images on a page. First – How or where do I upload the set of images.  Is there a specific folder? Do I use WordPress Media? ..etc

Seconly – How do I stick those set of images on a page? Do I insert a special code in the page? 
    In the readme file it vaguely tells me to do this: [color=red:1o1dgiiz]Manually add the `rel="lightbox"` attribute to any link tag to activate the lightbox or `rel="lightbox-imagesetname"` for an image set, using the title attribute to store a caption. Alternatively you may use the autoload option to automatically prepare links to images and additionally enable picasaweb and flickr integration to easily utilize their albums.[/color:1o1dgiiz]
    This explanation doesnt tell me anything at all because it still leaves me clueless as far as how to insert set of images.

These are questions about WordPress in general, not the plugin. You will have more luck in the WordPress.org support forums with non-plugin related questions like this … http://wordpress.org/support/

Anonymous

I’m also finding hard to understand how to use it manually.

What is the [color=red:3no3118w]"imagesetname"[/color:3no3118w] value supposed to be when using the native wordpress gallery shortcode?

Please use an example syntax.

malcalevak

The "imagesetname" is an optional parameter when you’re inserting image links, I’m not aware of the the shortcode supporting the "rel" parameter, so if you use the shortcode you won’t be able to post multiple image sets in the same post as the plugin will group them all together by post.

If you really want to have multiple image sets in a post you could just place the gallery inside of a pair of div tags of class="gallery" [code:ny9gsg29]<div class=gallery>[gallery]</div>[/code:ny9gsg29] and ensure "Autoload" is enabled and "Autoload Selector" is the default.

If the above doesn’t make any sense to you, you probably don’t need it. Most people only post one gallery set per post anyway.

Anonymous

Thanks for replying.

I have no interest in having multiple image sets (at the moment).

My aim was to avoid Autoload and have the plugin active only on chosen pages/posts, where native wp galleries are used.

After posting the above message I started digging around and messed with wp-includesmedia.php where I managed to inject a dynamic rel code inside the gallery link output (the link to the individual images).
    So essentially I can now have wp galleries picking up the effect while the Autoload option is disabled.

However I later realised that the purpose of this option is not to disable loading the plugin css & js files but only to disable the global appliance of the effect.

Is there a way to prevent the plugin from loading unless explicitly told to by some sort of switch?

malcalevak

Funny you should ask that, I actually just finished a project for my paid job where I did something sort of like that. I created a tiny JS listener that would identify when it needed to load the larger JS module.

But the JS related to the plugin are so tiny (14kb is you use a special easing enabled, 8kb if not) that it hardly seems worth the effort. The only way you might win out is if your page doesn’t use jQuery anywhere else, and you could in turn tell it not to load, and even then you’re not talking about anything very big.

You probably could programatically determine if if the plugin is needed on a page, and in turn whether or not to load the scripts, but I can’t think of any way to do it efficiently.

That’s not to say it can’t be done, just that I can’t see it really being worth the effort involved, especially for such tiny gains. It also helps if you realize that the scripts are cached, so they’re being called locally after the first load. If you really want to squeeze out a few possible savings, there is a plugin that will switch the jQuery library that’s used to being one hosted by Google (this increases the likelihood that it’s already been cached), but even then, I can’t say it’s worth it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.