Degrade nicely for WAP?

Forums Forums Menus Degrade nicely for WAP?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    maidanet

I don’t know anything about creating WAP enabled sites other than to use a plug in to do it.

Unfortunately, I don’t have a WAP enabled device to see if it works.  Does anyone know how the multi-level navigation looks on a WAP enabled device?  Does it degrade nicely?

WAP? That’s pretty old school technology and there is no way you will get a dropdown working in it. It may collapse into a huge list, I’m not sure.

I typically only develop for XHTML capable mobiles, this includes most modern phones. But most of those don’t allow you to navigate a dropdown. Devices with Opera Mini or Safari (iPhone_ should handle them fine though. But to be honest, I haven’t done any testing.

nv1962

Personally I’m a big believer in degrading JS menus into simple linked lists, and moreover: having a specific CSS that addresses the media used to access the site, so as to exclude the bits (wrapped in DIV tags) that aren’t applicable or (inadequately) supported on other media (i.e. mobiles, PDAs, cells…)

I’ve never worked with JS menus myself.

Targetting specific devices is difficult. You could use a mobile stylesheet, but then you would be removing the dropdown functionality for those who have a decent mobile device (ie: an iPhone or similar). The other option is to use browser sniffing, but I generally avoid anything like that myself as there is too much cross device testing required.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.