Display assortment of pages and categories

Forums Forums Menus Display assortment of pages and categories

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I really like this plugin, but I can’t figure out how to display an assortment of pages and category links. The way I have my page laid out, I have a menu bar of category links, which opens a page of posts of each category when clicked. I also have a couple menu bar links on the end pointing to separate HTML pages. So, it’s set up as Home –> Category 1 –> Category 2 –> Category 3 (which also has one child category I wish to display when Category 3 is scrolled over) –> Category 4 –> About –> Contact, with the latter 2 being static HTML pages.

I’m not the best with code, but I can’t figure out how to customize the plugin to allow for this type of complexity; any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

If you want to add non WordPress HTML pages, you should install the Beta plugin. Don’t activate the Superfish option though as it’s still a little buggy. With the beta plugin you can add custom HTML to the menu from the admin panel.

Just add something like the following to the custom menu option in the admin panel to add your custom pages:

[code:6466y1wr]<li>
    <a href="http://domain.com/about/">About</a>
    <a href="http://domain.com/contact/">Contact</a>
    </li>[/code:6466y1wr]

Then in the admin panel choose “Homeâ€

Anonymous

My current menu bar lists categories horizontally as page links, with the final two referencing wordpress pages. Any suggestions for making this work with this plugin to enable dropdown of child categories from parent categories when hovering over the parent category? As an example, hovering over category “Sportsâ€

Anonymous

My previous post didn’t copy the code over, so here goes another attempt!:

<a href="">Home

Anonymous

I can’t get a “codeâ€

Sorry for the code problems. WordPress is nightmarishly awkward for displaying code in comments and posts. You need to replace all <s with &/lt; and >s with &/gt;s. Don’t worry though, the []’s do the job fine. If you have a WordPress install, you can dump the code in there, flick to code view and copy and paste the code from there. I plan to eventually port the comments section of this site over to an SMF forum which handles displaying code much better than WordPress.

It looks to me like you are using the correct code. Although you are referencing an ID of menu. So if you are using the CSS from the generator page that won’t work. To use the generator page CSS you would need to use a structure something like the following:

[code:1pwrnk7x]<ul id="suckerfishnav">
    <li>
    <a href="< ?php echo get_settings(‘home’); ?>">Home</a>
    </li>
    <?php wp_list_cats(‘hierarchical=1&sort_column=name&exclude=13,17,18,14,2,15,1,3,20’); ?>
    <?php wp_list_pages(‘include=24,25&title_li=&depth=1’); ?>
    </ul>[/code:1pwrnk7x]

For anyone else reading this: the above code is as a replacement for the suckerfish(); function you normally add to your theme. By manually adding the code like this you have more control over what is displayed on the page. Although the latest beta version of the plugin gets around much of this and I have some more additions on their way to help alleviate the need for this custom programming.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.